This Barley Risotto was just perfect for a cold Spring Evening.
Served it with steamed Asparagus dressed in Lemon Zest and Olive Oil.
Super Easy – which is what I’m all about at the moment.
- Sautee one large finely chopped organic red onion and garlic in coconut oil until soft.
- Add in one finely chopped large carrot,
- 2 cups of rinsed organic barley,
- 2 litres of organic vegie stock ( I cheated and used 2 plantaforce stock cubes).
- Simmer this for about 30 minutes until the barley is soft – it may take up to 45 minutes or longer.
- Add some more water or stock if it looks to thick.
- When the barley is soft add in two tomatoes finely chopped and simmer for a little longer. It should still be quite moist.
- Take off heat and pop a lid on top.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then give it a stir. You could add in extra vegies/fresh herbs/pine nuts –
- really anything you like. Super easy – you just need to keep checking to make sure not sticking and there is enough moisture in the pot